Monday, May 11, 2009

What Do You Want To See?

Busy weekend on the Regina scene, albeit, under the radar.

Team Saskatchewan selected the swimmers that will represent the green & yellow at this fall's Canada Games. I have to say that from a media perspective, this event was a dream.

Marj coordinated everything for, called back promptly, the times of the events were accurate and the kids were easily accessible and excited to talk. I will certainly be back to the pool sometime soon to catch up with these wake-makers.

The Canadian Junior Team Handball Championships were also going on at the fieldhouse and although the coordination might not have been that of the swimmers, the event was still cool. I caught a good chunk of the Girl's final between Alberta & Quebec and wow, handball can be a fairly vicious sport at times...Don't try and penetrate that defensive wall.

Now while I enjoyed my time at both of these events, I really wonder sometimes how much viewers at home get amped up about seeing Global cover it. My feelings have always been local first, but I'm not 100% sure that's what people are looking to see when they tune in to us.

I hope that's the way it goes, because its truly one of the great perks of my job, meeting these young athletes and then trying to convey their story to everybody. I truly believe all these people have great tales to tell and they're worth hearing.

But there is the school of thought that most people just care about NHL, CFL and MLB...Maybe, but then wouldn't they tune into Sportsnet or TSN?

Let me know what you think and what you'd like to see more of on Global Sports, cause in the media business, the customer is ALWAYS right and I certainly aim to please.

No comments:

Post a Comment