Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Odds & Ends

No secret that Medicine Hat Tigers' coach Willie Desjardins will be named the coach of the 2010 World Jr. team. Really its a great pick considering that he was an assistant under pat Quinn last time around. I've never had the pleasure of meeting Willie, but in the short time I've been around the Dub, all I've heard is good things about him. And his record really speaks for itself.
------------------------------------------------------------
Organizers of the WJHC announced Monday that the Queen City will host a couple of Canada's exhibition games at the Brandt. A move no doubt made to help bolster sluggish ticket sales in Regina. But I thought we were getting those games anyway? Ticket packs are only 50% sold here in the Capital city. Maybe that's because a lot of spectators would be coming from out of town and don't want to buy for every game. I'm sure when the single game tickets are made available, sales will really move along.
--------------------------------------
And yeah, I'd love for Canada to play some games here, but let's face it...This tournament is about ca$h as much as anything and the CUC holds more people than the Brandt.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lucky 7's...Looks like Gary Bettman's dream is now reality. Three of the four conference semi's going the distance. It's been real exciting watching a couple of these series, especially Washington/Pittsburgh. This is the way hockey was supposed to be played.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
No word yet if Regina is in the running for a relocated NHL team.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Riders round out their coaching staff yesterday. By my math that gives Brent Parker another 3 months to get his hiring done. Although, the promotion of Cliff Mapes is a great move. Cliffy is one of the good ones. He cares about the product both on and off the ice and works tirelessly to provide a great evening for the patrons who come through the doors.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I haven't heard from Plaster. I assume he's "not in Kansas anymore!" Actually I don't know if he ever was.
-------------
I don't know if 'I Love Regina' when I go golfing one afternoon and then need to shovel the driveway the next morning.
----------------------------
On my way out the door I just have to say that tonight is must see stuff with Pittsburgh trying to steal it on the road in Washington. This could be one of those moments you don't want to miss!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations to Mr. Mapes on the promotion!! He is truly one of the good ones out there!! Every time my family made it to a Pats game, no matter how busy he was, he always had time to say hello and ask how everything was going. He cares about the organization and will be great!!

    ReplyDelete